8 Reasons You've Got To Know Alex Angelo!
Alex Angelo is a 14-year-old DJ, singer, dancer and Radio Disney host whose new lyric video for "Turn Me Up" is out today. We spoke with Alex to find out all about the new song, and got him to reveal some surprising facts about himself in the process!
Who's your biggest inspiration as a DJ?
1. There are so many Dj's that inspire me! I listen to and learn a lot from Diplo, Zedd, Allesso, Hardwell, and A-Trak. They all bring different styles and sounds to the table and I love learning from all of them.
What's your weirdest phobia?
2. My weirdest phobia is a fear of making mistakes. I am a perfectionist and that has helped me accomplish a lot over the years but it will sometimes make me afraid of failure. Sometimes I have dreams of my equipment failing on me while performing on stage.
If you could have any meal right now, what would it be?
3. Indian food is my favorite, particularly chicken makhani.
What one item do you never leave home with?
4. I always have my phone with me. I also must have a pair of sunglasses and my wallet. I usually have a USB portable battery with me too!
What's the last book you read?
5. I read The Fault In Our Stars for school.
Do you have any secret talents?
6. No secret talents. I love sharing my talents.
What's your favorite guilty pleasure movie?
7. I watch a lot of 80's movies. Teen Wolf is one that I frequently watch and Karate Kid is another one I could watch over and over.
Who's your favorite Disney character? Why?
8. I like Buzz Lightyear. Toy Story was one of my favorite movies growing up.
What's your process for creating a song, from coming up with an idea to the finished product?
I work with different producers and come up with a concept. That could be a musical concept or message I'm trying to explain. It could be multiple ideas. We then begin to create a track with various musical ideas. Then we begin to come up with lyrics and melodies to go along with the track. This process varies depending on the song. I love the process of creating new music. I always like to be a part of the development and have a say in what I share with my fans.
What was the inspiration behind "Turn Me Up"? What kind of sound were you going for with the track?
We wanted to go deeper in meaning with this song. I am getting older and want to create music that is well thought out and relatable. I want this to be an experience for someone who is listening. I want them to be in the moment and think about how the music relates to them in their lives. We wanted to showcase the singing aspect of what I do. So I used my falsetto voice a lot more in this song.
How excited are you to go on tour this summer?
I am so excited to be on tour with Jake Miller. He has supported me since I was just starting out in the business. I am thrilled to support him on tour and prepare the audience for a great show. I can't wait to meet new fangelos and bring something fresh to the audience every night. I want to show the fans how I give them 110% every show. I get to see fangelos that have been supporting me from the beginning.
Is there anything else you're working on that you can tease?
I have a couple songs that I recorded after "Turn Me Up." Things went so well in the studio with Nik Gross that I couldn't wait to go back and record some more with him.
Be sure to check out Alex Angelo's new lyric video for "Turn Me Up" below and share your thoughts in the comments.