Everything You Should Know About Canadian Singer-Songwriter Alex Porat
Alex Porat first flew onto our radars as a cover artist posting gorgeous renditions of our favorite tracks on YouTube, but today she's a powerful artist in her own right.
The singer-songwriter still shares soothing covers, but we've been completely won over by her original songs, including the single "Happy for You," a dreamy breakup anthem you won't be able to get out of your head. Alex's name should be on everyone's tongues, and we were thrilled to get better acquainted with her in the interview below.
(Photo credit: Mariah Hamilton)
Name: Alexandra Porat
Hometown: Toronto, Canada
Birthday: Jan. 9
1. Alex's biggest hobby is singing in choir.
"I went through high school participating in a few choirs and I still rehearse with a youth choir once a week. It's a great way to begin learning music and also a great way to make friends. Singing in choir has also helped me a lot with my singing technique."
2. She's currently obsessed with racing jackets.
"I just love the detail that goes into those jackets and I stand by my saying that jackets and shoes make or break an outfit."
3. She's incredibly close to her parents.
"They're super supportive and I'll always feel grateful for the way they raised me. They always reminded me to be empathetic and appreciate everything I have."
4. Her favorite thing about herself is her emotional capacity.
"I used to hate how delicate I felt in situations, but I've grown to accept it as a feature instead of a flaw. Feeling strong emotions has helped me write music time and time again."
5. She doesn't have any pets, but she would love to someday.
"I do have fond memories of playing aquarium games on computers growing up."
6. She's not much into playing sports herself, but recently she's started to love watching basketball as well as hockey.
7. Her biggest pet peeve is when people are rude for no reason.
8. She loves all kinds of music, and her favorites tend to depend on her mood at the time.
"I grew up listening to a lot of Christina Aguilera, Whitney Houston and Celine Dion. Recently, I've been obsessed with Conan Gray and Dua Lipa."
9. She says she couldn't live without chapstick.
"My toxic trait is having to apply chapstick every 10 minutes."
10. The Jonas Brothers put on the best concert she's ever seen.
"It felt so good hearing songs I grew up listening to being played live. I'm here for them being back together and making music again. The energy at that concert was amazing and I'll never forget it."
11. Alex's biggest hero is her younger self.
"I think that I sometimes throw myself back into her mindset because she knew how to not overthink and how to forgive and forget. Life is too short to make things more complicated than they really are."
You can watch the video for Alex's single, "Happy for You" below!
Who's your woman crush? Click HERE for our favorite Instagram captions to celebrate the women crushes in your life.