Everything You Wanted to Know About Body Image Influencer Alicia Mccarvell
When we're looking for our daily dose of empowerment and self-love, we turn to none other than Canadian content creator Alicia Mccarvell.
The beloved TikTok sensation uses her videos not just to share her own story, but also to inspire confidence and help others discover their own self-worth. Her feel-good page is educational as well as liberating as she fights the stigma around fat bodies and shares insights into the worst misconceptions around weight—and always with a touch of irresistible humor. Today, she has 5.8 million followers on TikTok alone, who love everything from her workout and dance videos to her hilarious musings, and her page is only growing.
On March 5, Alicia also hosted The BodCon 2023, a virtual conference all about body confidence and self-acceptance. If you adore Alicia and her powerful message as much as we do, keep scrolling to discover everything she shared with us as our latest Woman Crush Wednesday.
(Photo credit: Alicia Mccarvell)
Name: Alicia Mccarvell
Hometown: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Birthday: October 8
Zodiac sign: Libra
1. When we asked Alicia what Disney character she relates to most, she had such a hard time with the question that she wound up going to Disney.com to take a "What Disney Character Are You?" quiz.
"And I got Simba. 'You're the main event and you also stand up for what's right.'"
2. In three words, she'd describe herself as funny, passionate and creative.
Also read about: Everything You Wanted to Know About Let Her Burn Singer-Songwriter Rebecca Black
3. Her audience and followers are her biggest inspiration.
"They are the reason I do what I do. Reading my DMs and listening to their stories, the work they are doing every day to change their relationships with their bodies and their successes inspire me."
4. If there's one life lesson she wishes she'd learned earlier on, it's her own worth.
"Who I am is more valuable what I look like."
5. Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" is her favorite song of all time.
Also read about: Everything You Wanted to Know About Constellations Singer-Songwriter Jade LeMac
6. If she could live in any decade, she'd still choose to live in the here and now in the 2020s.
"This decade has been the best years of my life. My nephew was born, my husband and I built a platform we are proud of, we've traveled to places we have always dreamed of, we were able to pay off my sister's student debt, I started acting, we walked a red carpet and I know there is so much more to come in the next seven years."
7. According to her husband, her weirdest habit is always needing to pop his pimples.
8. Not many people know that she's super talented as a digital artist.
"When I lost my job pre-pandemic, I needed to find a way to help pay our bills. Creativity has always been a part of who I am, but after years of working a 9 to 5, I had suppressed that side of me. I bought an iPad and an Apple Pencil with our savings and I started drawing portraits! I managed to create a little side hustle that helped us survive until I ended up stumbling into my dream job (this!)!"
9. The one thing she's always doing on her phone is silencing her alarms.
"Every single one of them. Every morning. Always."
Also read about: Everything You Wanted to Know About 'FALLING 4 SOMEBODY' Singer-Songwriter NERIAH
10. When it comes to finding great style options, Alicia has a few favorite places to shop.
"As a plus size woman, there aren't many places that allow me to shop in one place—but I will shout out a few of my fave plus size shops: Incandescent here in NS, Kurvy Kouture and The Extended Shop are my go-to's right now!"
11. Alicia says that comedy truly is core to who she is as a person.
"Laughing at things is how I have always managed to get through the toughest parts of my life. I think that humor makes learning and unlearning a lot easier."
For more on Alicia and her story, click HERE to read our interview with her ahead of The BodCon 2023.