How to Gracefully React to a Terrible Holiday Gift
Obviously, we're looking forward to giving, as well as receiving, piles of holiday gifts, but every year is marred by that one truly terrible present.
(SpongeBob SquarePants via Nickelodon)
Not sure how to react when you peel away the wrapping paper to find that horrible gift? Follow this guide to discover how to keep your cool while appearing gracious in the face of the world's worst present.
1. Avoid saying things like "You shouldn't have." Everyone knows that means they really shouldn't have, and you don't want to upset them just because it's a bad present.
2. Whatever you do, don't repeat the name of the object you just opened. "Oh, a fidget spinner!" will be a dead giveaway that you're not into it.
3. While you definitely want to avoid appearing ungrateful, you also don't want to seem totally enamored with your present. Acting like you absolutely love it will only backfire because it'll give everyone in the room the sense that you like that kind of gift. Do you want even more like it next year?
4. If you're at a loss for words, just say "thanks" and move on. You can be polite without actually saying you like the gift.
(The Office via NBC)
5. Can't stand the gift you got from a specific person? Take preventative measures next year by reaching out to them and telling them exactly what you want. Even if they improvise, they'll at least have a sense of your tastes.
6. Don't feel bad about getting rid of the gift the moment you get home. Never feel guilty about using that handy-dandy gift receipt. If there wasn't one, do a good deed by donating it, or regift it to a friend who might actually appreciate it. You can even stash it away for a rainy day when you might feel differently about it.
7. Don't take it personally that the gift-giver doesn't know you well enough to get you something you actually wanted. They were trying their best and don't give bad gifts on purpose. Maybe you should spend more time with them so you can get to know each other better.
Still shopping for your bestie? Click HERE to find out the gift your BFF will love, based on their zodiac sign.