Survive the Winter With This Touchscreen Glove DIY
It's been a very chilly winter so far, making it more essential than ever to own at least one pair of touchscreen gloves.
But because gloves that work with mobile devices don't come cheap, why not make your own? Popular Science showed us this simple DIY. So whether you're upgrading your unwanted old gloves or making your favorite pair even better, it's easy, and here's how to do it.
First, you're going to need the supplies:
- Any pair of gloves
- A sewing needle
- Conductive thread
That last item is the trickiest to find, but there are a few options on Amazon. I got a whole roll of the thread there for a little under $18. It's more than you'll ever need, even if you're converting a hundred pairs of gloves. Feel free to share the leftoverswith your friends once you're done.
Even if you've never used a needle and thread, the DIY is super straightforward— though you may want to do a test run before you do the real thing on your cutest gloves.
- Start by cutting a length of string about two feet long.
- Thread the string through the eye of the needle and tie a few knots to secure around the needle. Also tie a thick knot at the end of your string.
- Put on the glove and practice using it on your phone to determine which parts of your fingers you use when you're texting or swiping. This is where you'll want to sew in the conductive thread.
- Now it's time to start sewing! Decide where you want the threading to start, then poke the needle in through your starting point and back out where you want the seam to end. Be sure not to sew through the other side of the glove.
- Pull the string through until you hit the knot you tied at the end.
- Repeat the two steps above in a new line parallel to your first stitch. Repeat until the entirety of the glove that you'll use to touch your phone is covered in the conductive thread. Before you cut the thread, put it on and see if it works. If not, sew in more thread.
- Once you're satisfied, tie a strong knot and cut off excess thread.
- Repeat with other fingers as necessary.
Before you know it, you'll have a pair of gloves that will work with all of your touchscreen devices. Even if it doesn't turn out that pretty, they're easy and effective—and who looks at the insides of your gloves, anyway?
If making these gloves puts you in the mood for even more cute DIYs, click HERE to find out how to make your own super cute pillows.