All the Reasons Hayley Atwell Should Be the Next Doctor on Doctor Who
With the news that Peter Capaldi is stepping down as The Doctor on Doctor Who after the show's next season, the role is wide open—and we can't think of anyone better to fill it than Hayley Atwell.
If you're a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, you probably know Hayley best from her role as the butt-kicking Agent Peggy Carter. In the role, she held her own opposite Captain America, who was an important agent at the Strategic Scientific Reserve and helped found S.H.I.E.L.D.—where she worked as an agent for many years. Peggy even got her own (tragically short-lived) TV series on ABC.
If you're not yet convinced that Hayley deserves to be the first female incarnation of The Doctor, here are a few reasons to change your mind.
1. She wants the role. In 2015, when fans asked if she'd ever want to be a guest star in an episode of Doctor Who, she said she wasn't interested, because she wanted to be The Doctor.
2. Hayley's casting wouldn't break any rules that have already been set up in the Doctor Who universe. We've seen proof that Time Lords can change gender when they regenerate, most recently with The Master's portrayal by the incredible Michelle Gomez.
3. The Doctor has never not been played by a British actor, so casting Hayley wouldn't be t00 much of a break from form—even if she's a woman.
4. As a traveler through time and space, it's important that The Doctor can look the part, no matter where and when they are. Agent Carter proved that Hayley has the '40s look down. We'd love for the costume designers to spin off of that to create one of the coolest Doctor styles yet.
5. She's already proved time and time again that she has the chops for all of the action, humor and drama inherent in a great Doctor Who story.
6. Sometimes The Doctor has to be a chameleon, and Hayley can be just that. In Agent Carter she was a master of disguises, and the American accent she used occasionally on that show (and all the time on Conviction) makes her totally convincing. Did we mention she's also an American citizen.
7. She's got a history of playing powerful women who lead, which is exactly what's needed for the role of The Doctor.
8. And Hayley has already inspired endless cosplays as Peggy Carter. Why not give her fans another incredible character to emulate?
Loved Hayley on Agent Carter? Click HERE to find out about more of our fave comic book heroines who prove you don't have to be "super" to be a hero.