Find Out How Beauty Guru Jackie Wyers Gets Inspired
Guru Jackie Wyers is one of the biggest names in beauty and style on YouTube, but what makes her tick? In a recent interview with Jackie, we found out all about her biggest inspirations, fears, and how YouTube has totally transformed her life.
What makeup product could you not live without?
1. I couldn't go without my Annabelle Skinny Brow Liner, my brows have to be tamed!
Who's your biggest YouTube inspiration?
2. Bethany Mota of course! She's accomplished so much from of her start on YouTube and is really a positive ambassador for the YouTube community.
Describe your favorite pair of shoes.
3. My vintage inspired wedges! They lace up, have cute cut outs and it's really easy to walk in wedges.
If you could swap lives with any Disney character for a week, who would it be?
4. ARIEL. Hands down. I love the ocean as long as the sharks steer clear…
What's your weirdest habit?
5. You'd think as a "beauty guru" I could put clothes on right, but I always put my shirt on backwards or inside out. It's pretty much an everyday occurrence.
If you could eat any meal, right this second, what would it be?
6. Mashed potatoes and meatballs!
Do you have any strange phobias?
7. I'm very scared of sharks. I live in Canada and rarely go to a beach, so it's a pretty odd thing to think about yet it creeps up in my mind often!
What's your spirit animal?
8. The first thing that came to mind was the Pokemon Eevee… or a mermaid. Does that count?
What's the last song you had stuck in your head?
9. Cody Simpson's "Flower"
Can you tell me about your start in hair and makeup? What made you decide to start a YouTube channel showing off those strengths? How has that decision changed your life?
I have always been a girly girl and started really getting into makeup in 7th grade when I found Michelle Phan's tutorials on YouTube. I knew right from then I wanted to start doing tutorials, but I had just gotten braces and was pretty insecure about them. I told myself I would start filming once I got them off, which is silly because there are so many successful YouTubers with braces!
I kept a book full of ideas and practiced makeup and hair looks until finally the day I got my braces off in 2012, I made my first video. I loved the beauty community so much I went to school for makeup and design to further my skills as well. YouTube is a really fun way to share my beauty tips and tricks with girls all over the world.
Where do you get inspiration for your videos? What is your process from the idea to the final product?
I get a lot of my inspiration from pop culture. There are always new events, music videos, movies and magazines filled with beauty looks. Often I will create my own looks, too, based off of the outfit I have on!
Usually I look at pictures and I write out steps to how I will achieve the look before I film so I know the instructions are easy to follow. Once I've filmed I edit for hours until the video is just right!
What can you tell me about your new #singandstyle series?
My #singandstyle series is where I cover a song and create a fashion music video inspired by the artist. I love to sing and of course love all things beauty and fashion so combining my favourite things is a lot of fun. I write songs and would love to share them one day, so trying out different music styles and covering artists who inspired me is great practice and a fun way to get feedback.
What else can we see from you in the near future?
I also am doing a new series called "Jackie's Room" where I answer questions submitted to me over Twitter (@jackiewyers) and Tumblr (itsjackiewyers). At the end of these videos I will give a "spotlight" to YouTubers whose videos I love also submitted to me over Tumblr! These videos are a great way to get to know me and for me to talk to my subscribers.
Be sure to leave your love for Jackie in the comments, get involved in the "Jackie's Room" convo and share your own beauty vids with us at SweetyHigh.com.