15 Things You'll Only Understand If You're in a Long-Term Relationship
If you've been with your significant other for what feels like forever, it's probably changed significantly over time.
Your long-term relationship has moved past the stage of jittery excitement and moved into feelings of comfort and companionship. If that sounds like you, you'll definitely relate to this list.
1. You've mastered the art of using your S.O. as an excuse for getting out of social events you don't want to attend.
2. While you used to enjoy sharing everything in common with your partner, you've discovered that liking different foods is actually a huge plus. It means you never have to share.
3. And when you do both like something, fair snacking involves a delicate negotiation.
4. You've been to their house so many times their family treats you like one of them. They've stopped seeing you as a guest, so you've seen all of the weirdness they have to offer.
(Girl Meets World via Disney Channel)
5. You're so close that you've been mistaken for siblings on occasion. Gross.
6. A good chunk of your wardrobe consists of clothes you "borrowed" from them—and that they're never getting back.
7. You both roll your eyes at couples who feel the need to post daily about the strength of their new relationship. Yours doesn't need to be validated by social media.
8. Getting surprised with a pint of your favorite ice cream can feel just as romantic as a receiving a bouquet of flowers.
(SpongeBob SquarePants via Nickelodeon)
9. The two of you speak your own language of inside jokes, obscure cultural references and music lyrics that no one else understands.
10. And when you're both trapped in an awkward situation, sometimes you can even convey yourselves with subliminal body language when you can't say what you're thinking out loud.
11. You've come to understand that fights are no big deal and are just a part of growing together.
12. You can only pity your friends when they share their horror stories about crushes and dating.
13. Plus, you never have to worry about not getting asked to the school dance (unless you've discussed beforehand that neither of you is going).
(Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part I via Warner Bros. Pictures)
14. When you are spotted out on your own, everyone immediately wants to know where your partner is.
15. You actually can't imagine what your everyday life would look like without your significant other in it.
Just because you know your significant other better than anyone doesn't make it easier to shop for them. Click HERE to find out what to get your S.O. for their birthday, based on your zodiac sign.