32 Things You MUST Know About "Project Runway Junior" Star Matt Sarafa
Starting tomorrow, November 12, you can catch superstar teen designer (and former Sweety High intern!) Matt Sarafa on the first-ever season of Project Runway Junior, and you NEED to tune in because his style is eternally on point. Basically, we're obsessed, and once you see his style (and his spot-on Tim Gunn impression), you're going to be rooting for him to take home first place!
1. How did you first get into fashion?
I was 7 years old and I actually stumbled upon a Project Runway marathon, and have been in love with fashion ever since!
2. Describe your style in 3 words.
Edgy, Avant Garde, and Urban
3. What's your approach when it comes to designing an outfit?
Usually, I'll start out by sketching either on the computer or just by hand. I draw inspiration from the people around me and places I go. Then, I'll go to fabric stores to find the perfect materials.
4. Show us your best runway selfie
5. How was your experience on Project Runway Junior different from Project Runway: Threads?
I like to think of Threads as an appetizer and Project Runway Junior as the entrée. Project Runway Junior was like Threads x 100. This time, we had multiple challenges, absolutely no help in creating our designs, and 11 other super talented designers to compete with. It was super tough but so worth it!
6. What was your most memorable experience on Project Runway Junior?
Just getting to meet Tim Gunn in person was surreal. He's been an idol to me for as long as I can remember. He's exactly the same in person as he is on TV; super sweet, opinionated, and always well dressed.
7. Strike the weirdest pose possible right now
8. Which designer is your biggest inspiration? What element of their style do you admire most?
I love so many designers but I would have to say my absolute favorite is Alexander McQueen. His designs are so edgy and always push the envelope, which is something I really admire.
9. What's the weirdest thing in your pockets right now?
I hardly ever wear anything with pockets and even when I do I hate putting things in them. The weirdest things I carry around with me are these little portable tracking device things that I keep on my bag, my wallet, and my car keys. I ALWAYS lose things, so being able to locate my most important stuff right from my phone is so cool!
10. What's your go-to thinking pose when you're coming up with a design?
11. What movie have you seen more than 20 times?
Bridesmaids – I still laugh every time.
12. What one thing do you never leave home without?
I NEVER leave home without either some pressed powder or blotting sheets. My T-zone gets super shiny throughout the day (like an oil spill) and something to control that is essential.
13. What do you think is the biggest style trend this fall?
This fall, I see a lot of oversized outerwear like big coats, capes, and jackets on the runways. Also, different textured fabrics that play with opacity, like mesh or faux fur, are really big.
14. Show us your reaction face during the judging segments on Project Runway Junior
15. What brand of shoes are you obsessed with?
I LOVEEE shoes, and if I could my closet would be filled with Louboutins trust me it would. I love a shoe that really makes a statement.
16. How did you first get into doing YouTube makeup tutorials?
Actually, 2 friends of mine and I decided that we all wanted to start YouTube channels since we've all really loved watching other beauty gurus. I'm the only one who really stuck with it, and just recently it's really been taking off!
17. What cosmetic could you not live without?
I think concealer is essential in anyone's makeup bag. Being able to cover up my super dark raccoon undereyes and any blemishes I have instantly makes me look more awake and put together.
18. Walk us through your ensemble!
I actually made this shirt as part of my upcoming collection. The "Hot Mess" logo will make a little bit more sense once the show comes out! The leggings are Nasty Gal, the bag is Givenchy, the shoes are just Converse from the new fall collection, and the bracelet is Cartier.
19. Tell us more about your upcoming line
It's coming out soon, but it's still in process. It's going to be a unisex line. I like mixing masculine and feminine elements, and I'm taking those traits and putting them into my own line and making a bunch of stuff I'd like to wear. It'll be on my website so stay tuned because I have tons of stuff.
20. If you could design an outfit for anyone in the world, who would it be?
Hands down it would be Lady GaGa. I think she's so cool, and her fashion is so innovative. Designing something for her would be a dream come true.
21. What's your spirit animal?
I'm definitely a leopard. ? I'm very bold and goal-oriented. Plus I love the way they look 🙂
22. Come up with a quick outfit sketch and walk us through it
Here we have a two-piece black leather crop top and a knee-length pencil skirt with a hot pink faux fur coat, because I think that these big overcoats, especially with faux fur, are really big for this season.
23. Which style trend do you wish would go away?
I cannot stand Birkenstocks – Like honey, calm down you're not attending the Last Supper.
24. Which TV shows are in your DVR waiting to be watched?
Reality TV is my guilty pleasure. I've really been getting into Love & Hip Hop because of a couple of my friends. Also, the new American Horror Story is KILLER.
25. Show us your best Tim Gunn impression!
26. What's one place you've always wanted to visit?
I've always wanted to go to the Galapagos Islands. I love exotic animals, and I think visiting there would be very inspiring. Plus it'd make for some cool Insta photos.
27. What's in your bag?
- My wallet
- A portable phone charger. My phone is always running out of battery because I'm on it all the time
- Hairspray because my hair is very fine and it won't stay up by itself. It needs a little bit of help.
- Powder foundation by MAC. It's my favorite one because it gives very full coverage.
- My Mac 135 brush.
- Sunglasses from Saint Laurent
- Scott Barnes body bling, because it makes your skin look very shimmery and tan
- I always carry water because I need to stay hydrated
- Loose powder and blotting sheets because I'm really oily
- Brow gel and a couple brushes
- I love this Pink Sugar perfume because it's so sweet and I love super sweet things.
28. What's your go-to accessory?
I used to go way overboard on accessories, so I've toned it down a bit now. I love a cool classic bag or some simple jewelry. I like to make a big statement with one really unique piece instead of several.
29. If you could only shop at one place for the rest of your life, where would you choose?
I'm so obsessed with ASOS. They have so many options that suit all different styles, and it's pretty reasonably priced too!
30. Draw a quick self portrait
31. What's your favorite emoji?
I LOVE the heart eye emoji ?. I use it in almost every text.
32. What's one emoji that doesn't exist that you'd love to have?
I think we need some more high fashion emojis. The clothes they have right now are downright ugly. ??
Matt Sarafa has an unbeatable sense of style, but what about you? Click here to take the quiz and find out which Pretty Little Liar is your style twin!