Savannah Outen Tells Us Everything About "BOYS"
Savannah Outen is a pop artist from Portland, Oregon, whose covers, as well as original tracks, have made her one of the best-known artists on YouTube. Savannah's new single, "BOYS," is out now, and we spoke with her to learn about the song and do a little catching up in a recent interview!
What's the weirdest thing in your purse right now?
1. I've got five pairs of sunglasses and a candle lol.
Who's your single biggest musical influence?
2. Celine Dion. She's inspired me from a very young age. Not only does she have the best voice of all time, but she seems like an extremely down to earth, sweet woman. The industry doesn't seem like it's gotten to her head and she has remained really classy through her incredible career. She also has this amazing energy about her. I watch her interviews all the time and she makes everyone feel so at ease and comfortable. She's a great role model.
What makeup product could you not live without?
3. Eyebrow shadow! I love it way more than eyebrow pencils because it gives you a more natural look.
What's your strangest phobia?
4. Guys wearing flip flops..
What's the last movie you watched with your mom?
5. We watched Sex and The City: The Movie
If you could eat any meal right this minute, what would it be?
6. I am a foodie so this is the most difficult question one could ask! Right this second, I'd probably have to say a really great tuna melt on wheat with swiss cheese. Then some sweet potato fries and Pinkberry for dessert.
What's the last song you had stuck in your head?
7. I know it's older, but I can't stop listening to "Won't Stop" by OneRepublic. It's so good.
What's your favorite guilty pleasure movie?
8. ELF or Because I Said So
When we last spoke, you told us your musical side probably came from your mother, a violinist. What was it like to be exposed to that kind of music as a kid? How do you think that informed the musician you became as you got older?
Yes, she was an amazing violinist! I only saw her play a couple times when I was very young but it definitely exposed me to my love for music. My parents surrounded me with really good music growing up. Also my mom would constantly take me to concerts as a kid which made me so inspired.
What can you tell me about your new single? What was the process of writing the song? What was the inspiration behind it?
The new single is called "BOYS" and I am so excited to release it! I've been waiting to share it with everyone since last September. I wrote the song with Chelsea Lena and Jon Redwine. I remember when Redwine started building the track, he was playing this drumline sound and I freaked out. The song is inspired by a guy I saw walking on the streets of New York. We locked eyes for a few seconds, kept walking, looked back at each other and then I never saw him. I texted Chelsea about the moment and a few weeks later we wrote "BOYS!" The verses are all about the guy I saw, and then the choruses are universal and perfect for everyone to relate to… Boys make us go crazy and we can't get enough.
What angles of the song are you focusing on getting across in the music video?
We filmed the music video and it was an absolute blast. We shot it guerilla style which was different for me. You've gotta be really quick and spontaneous but it made it so exciting and fun. I've imagined this video since the day I wrote the song. I wanted it to be downtown, classic/urban/fashion video type feel, and black & white. So we did just that! My director, Sherif Higazy did an awesome job of bringing my vision to life.
You've found the biggest success in your musical career on YouTube- is that something you could have ever anticipated growing up? What has that experience been like?
YouTube has been an amazing platform for me. If it weren't for posting videos, I would've never had all the opportunities I've had so far. I've met some amazing friends and supporters through it, too. But I am so excited for the future and to share my original music with everyone that's stuck with me since day one
What else can we expect from you in the near future?
More singles! And an album. I signed with my producers, Evan and Eman last year. And we've been having the best time creating this album. I am so proud of what we've written so far.
Love Savannah? Check out our previous interview with her in the related stories and leave your thoughts in the comments!