Everything You Wanted to Know About Colombian Pop Sensation Sebastián Yatra
Sebastián Yatra is one of the hottest Latin pop artists working in the industry today, and the numerous awards under his belt—including two Latin Grammys—prove it.
The Colombian singer-songwriter and actor is beloved for his unique approach to the genre, known best for his sweeping, romantic lyrics and his ability to effortlessly infuse traditional Latin sounds with reggaeton sensibilities to create beats all his own. His most recent single, "Vagabundo," featuring fellow Colombian hitmakers Manuel Turizo and Beéle, has already taken off, with a fun, irresistible sound that primes it to be one of the biggest songs of the summer. If you love Sebastián as much as we do, just keep reading to discover everything he revealed about himself as our latest Man Crush Monday.
(Photo credit: Ighor Cardozo)
Name: Sebastián Yatra
Hometown: Medellín, Colombia
Birthday: October 15
1. Sebastián recently went to dinner with Tom Hanks.
"He's such a nice guy. He's such an incredible person that you're starstruck, but at the same time, he's so nice that he lets you be yourself. At the beginning, I was nervous having dinner with him, but then I was super relaxed, and it was like I was talking to a lifelong friend."
2. Catch Me If You Can has made a bigger impact on his life than any other film.
"I just really love that movie—and Tom's in it! I think the acting in it is marvelous, from both Tom and [Leo] DiCaprio. It's just crazy to see how many things one person can do in life and get away with it—or not—and how you're always gonna learn a life lesson from what you do, and every moment always has a beginning and an end."
Also read about: Everything You Wanted to Know About The Art of Letting Go Singer-Songwriter gnash
3. In three words, he'd describe himself as spontaneous, creative and spiritual.
4. The No. 1 thing on his bucket list is traveling to Bhutan. In fact, he might go there this summer.
5. He's a total night owl—though he'd prefer not to be.
"I'm trying to be a morning person. It's way better. You have way more day."
Also read about: Everything You Wanted to Know About Wednesday Actor Isaac Ordonez
6. When we asked him the biggest reason why people come to him for help, he joked that it was to ask for money.
"Just kidding. Nobody ever asked me for money, which is cool. I guess my personality is not like that. I never buy anything, except coffee. I've got three or four expensive things in my life, which are a couple watches that were cool, but they're not even like ridiculously expensive. I don't really have too much of a connection with material stuff. Since I don't have that, people don't really associate me with anything money-related."
7. Instead, people tend to come to him for life advice.
8. If he could live in any decade, he'd probably pick the '90s.
"There was already enough technology where it was fun and there was anesthesia and stuff, which was important. Antibiotics!"
9. The one app he couldn't live without is WhatsApp.
"That's how we communicate."
Also read about: Everything You Wanted to Know about When We Were Younger Singer grentperez
10. The one song he's proudest of writing is "Tacones Rojos."
"It won the Latin Grammy for best pop song last year, and it's a song that I think is going to be a classic forever in Spanish music. And, I got to do it in English with John Legend, which was legendary. He probably gets that joke so much. If you read this, sorry, John!"
11. If there's one think Sebastián wants his listeners to know about him, it's that his human side is a thousand million times more important to him than his artist side.
"I would stop being an artist in a second if I had to put my human side up for grabs because of my music."
You can check out Sebastián's "Vagabundo" music video below:
Eager to learn about more of our MCMs? Click HERE to discover everything you wanted to know about Feurza Regida frontman Jesús Ortiz Paz.