What You Should Know About Singer and DJ Tess Vockler
When singer-songwriter and DJ Tess Vocker writes her captivating music, her goal is to leave her listeners craving that unique sound.
And the Australian music-maker is quite good at it, too. With a new album releasing on the horizon, she has a lot to share with her fans, and we can't wait to see what this new release will have to offer.
Until then, we got the chance to chat with Tess about music and all of the things that make her stand out from the crowd. Keep reading to find out what makes her music one-of-a-kind.
(Photo credit: David Higgs)
Name: Tessa Mae Vockler
Hometown: Melbourne, Australia
Birthday: December 16
1. Tess says the things that make her one-of-a-kind are her beauty spot, her "crazy laugh" and the signature hat she always wears as part of her style.
"It is funny when I was about 13 years old, I used to be self-conscious of my beauty spot and thought that no boy would ever like me or want to kiss me!"
2. The Shawshank Redemption has made a bigger impact on her life than any other movie.
"It is about never giving up, and it feels so good watching the ending.
3. Her favorite movie of all time is Walk the Line, and she also loved Will Smith's The Pursuit of Happyness.
4. Turtles are her favorite animals.
"I love their little heads and the baby ones are something else. I just can't! They are too adorable."
5. She also finds newborn puppies impossible to resist, and adores koalas, as they're Australian—just like her.
6. She's obsessed with camping out, and highly recommends her fans do the same.
"That takes me back to this summer—sleeping outside under the stars on a warm summer night. It is both creative and calming. and that fresh, fresh air, all night long, is so good for your wellbeing."
7. She's also in love with a Swedish candy shop in West Hollywood called Sockerbit.
8. She considers Dumbledore and Gandalf to be her favorite "superheroes."
"Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter are incredibly amazing fantasy lands I sometimes wish I could inhabit. Wise old souls…
9. She's the oldest child in her family, and she thinks that's had a positive influence on her life.
"My parents gave me a lot of love, as they did my sister. It was tough for me to leave home, that is for sure. I love being a listener, supporter and protector for my younger sister. This has given me such peace and meaning to my life—especially in recent months during the pandemic."
10. She's bizarrely good at locating lost objects.
"I am able to keep calm and cool under pressure when something is lost or someone is hurt. I found my friend's passport while we were overseas just by simply being really capable in the situation and not panicking!"
11. After a tough day, she loves to unwind by taking a bath or reading.
"Not many people know this, but it decreases stress and anxiety."
12. She further recommends putting on a movie to take your mind off of things, and to practice gratitude by remembering the aspects of life you're most grateful for.
"I also like to shift my mindset and do something completely different that doesn't involve my day—eg. cooking, cleaning, taking some deep breaths, feeling fresh and putting moisturizer on before getting a good night's rest. And know this—tomorrow is a new day!"
13. Difficult situations also make Tess want to listen to music, as well as make music of her own!
14. When Tess makes music, she wants people to get obsessed, and not be able to get enough of it.
"I hope that it has moved them, that they feel more confident and they feel someone speaks to them and understands them. That's what I'm looking to achieve with my upcoming album. I collaborated with some incredibly talented artists and it is my most raw and vulnerable work yet, about becoming more confident in yourself, loving yourself as you go through each year of your life."
15. Nothing is more important to Tess than love.
"I think the best example of this would be when I was a little girl and I would watch Pocahontas and start crying when John was sailing away on the boat. My dad would come in and think it was so sweet. How embarrassing! This is the epitome of me. Anything regarding love and people being wonderful to one another brings a tear to my eye, as well as cards, advertisements on TV—all of it! Even happy things too. Music. I just genuinely understand humans and feel for them."
Music-obsessed? Click HERE to discover our top 30 favorite tracks of all time.