Upcycled Glass Bottle Vases: A Homemade Holiday DIY!
It's day 2 of our 12 days of holiday DIYs! Surprise your friends and family this holiday season with an upcycled hand-painted vase made out of an empty glass bottle. This eco-friendly design, inspired by the work of talented Etsy artist LucentJane, is easy and inexpensive to create!
Follow the simple steps below to make your own personalized gifts for the ones you love! Share your thoughts in the comments below and your results with us at Sweety High!
- Large glass bottle (empty)
- 1 bottle of acrylic paint
- Paint brush
- Puffy paint (at least one color)
1. Wash the inside of your glass bottle. If the bottle has a label, make sure to remove it. If it doesn't peel off easily, wash the bottle under warm bottle and rub the label off with a dishwashing sponge to remove.
2. Dry the bottle completely.
3. Paint the bottle with acrylic paint and let it dry. You may want to apply a second coat of acrylic paint to make sure you didn't miss any spots.
4. Use your puffy paints to draw a design on the bottle. It may be easier for you to first draw your design with a pencil and then go over it with the puffy paints. To make sure it doesn't smudge, do one side of the bottle at a time. Let the side dry completely before rolling over the bottle and continuing to work on the opposite side.
5. Let it dry and your creation is finished and ready to display gorgeous flowers and more!
For a bold look, choose contrasting colors for the base and outline. For example, you can choose a bright orange base and use white puffy paint for the outline.
Before applying the puffy paints, you might also want to practice making a few lines on a piece of scrap paper.