Everything You Wanted to Know About BLKBX Singer-Songwriter Grace Gaustad
20-year-old singer-songwriter Grace Gaustad is an artist with a powerful message worth hearing.
They released their deeply personal debut album, BLKBX: wht r u hding, in August of this year to critical acclaim, but it turns out that BLKBX is more than just one of our favorite collections of songs of 2021. It's part of a larger vision, Grace's BLKBX Project, which is all about helping teens open up about the bullying, depression, anxiety and more that they deal with on a daily basis. We love the work Grace is doing, both within their music and outside of it, and here's everything we learned about them as our latest Woman Crush Wednesday.
(Photo credit: Leigh Keily)
Name: Grace Catherine Gaustad
Hometown: Phoenix, Arizona
Birthday: November 28
1. Grace definitely considers themself a night owl.
"The nighttime is so peaceful and it's my creative safe space and haven!"
2. "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga is their favorite song of all time.
"It's a song that I will listen to forever."
3. However, "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry also gets an honorable mention among their faves.
4. They consider Elphaba from Wicked to be a big inspiration.
"Since I was a little girl, she has always been a character that I have admired and related to on many levels."
5. They're more into DC than Marvel.
"I adore Batman. He has the coolest car ever."
6. They say they couldn't live without frozen cotton candy grapes.
7. Selling Sunset is their current Netflix obsession.
"I love looking at all the super cool real estate!"
8. The last show they binge-watched was 90 Day Fiancé.
"I've been going through all the past seasons."
9. They'd love the chance to live in either Neverland or Narnia.
10. When they order pizza, they usually get plain cheese or corn pizza.
11. Grace is the creator of BLKBX Project, with a mission to provide a safe place for teens to access resources and support.
"BLKBX is a story of the first 18 years of my life. It encapsulates all of the things I believe we as people go through while growing up and how each experience shapes us. BLKBX was a very therapeutic project for me and my goal is for BLKBX to be a guide for anyone going through their teen years, trauma, hardship, etc."
12. Grace says that having a bit of a Peter Pan syndrome is key to who they are as a human.
"I'm a child at heart and many of the things I enjoy today are the same things I loved as a little kid. I think it's important to never lose sight of your inner child because that inner being is who we were before the harsh world made us jaded. I prefer the magic of childhood as opposed to the reality of adulthood."
Love discovering the stories behind your favorite artists? Click HERE to find out why Mae Muller was our Woman Crush Wednesday last week.