Lisa Maree Dishes On Her Namesake Beachwear Brand
With summer closely approaching, we're already scouring the internet for swimwear we plan on buying, and when we came across the brand Lisa Maree, we knew we hit gold.
Specializing in all things crochet and beachwear, Lisa Maree absolutely needs to be on your radar. We wanted to learn all about the brand, and its founder of the same name. Lisa was kind enough to dish it all in the interview, below!
Name: Lisa Maree
IG Handle: @lisamareeaust and @lisamareeofficial
Hometown: Bondi Beach, Australia
1. Lisa founded her brand in 2009 in Bondi, Australia.
"At the time I had just finished my graphic design degree at university and could not get a job, no matter what I did. I even tried volunteering for free but no one wanted to spend the time training a newbie. So I found a government-funded small business course, a mini Shark Tank scenario, if you will, and applied for it. The kicker was that if you presented your business plan to the panel of three judges and they thought your business could be successful, they would grant you $10,000. That was the start of Lisa Maree. I was soon showing in Mercedes-Benz Sydney Fashion Week, was picked up by a New York agent and a few months later debuted at Miami Swim Fashion Week and was stocked in Net-A-Porter from that show, followed by Revolve, Shopbop, Urban, Free People and many more."
2. When she's in a rush, she throws on black workout leggings and fashion sneakers with a black tee and a camel overcoat or a blazer.
Also read about: The Best Swimsuits for All Your Outdoor Adventures
3. Lisa loves looking at street fashion for inspo.
"I am inspired by people on the street. I love looking at each person's individual style, what they wear and how they wear it. That is what inspires me on a daily basis."
4. Her favorite piece from her brand at the moment is the Delicate Dreams Crochet Love Heart Crop ($185).
(via Lisa Maree)
5. She was once on Shark Tank.
"I've been on Shark Tank for my startup Glamazon. I'm a bit of a serial entrepreneur and started, scaled and exited Australia's largest marketplace for at home beauty services with my gorgeous business partner Lauren. We built a tech business from the ground up together, it was a wild ride and I loved every high and every low and learnt so much along the way!"
6. She can't get enough of the Disco Diva style trend, which is going to be in Lisa Maree's Fall 2023 collection.
Also read about: Teens Will LOVE These Two-Piece Swimsuits
7. Lisa loves following Celeste Barber on TikTok.
"She's an Australian comedian and I actually spoke at a women in business event, Business Chicks, with her in Australia. She's hilariously funny and just doesn't take life too seriously."
(via Lisa Maree)
8. Lisa is a self-proclaimed sucker for basics.
9. She believes in focusing on what she's good at.
"When I was in startup land an investor once told me: 'Be an inch wide and a mile deep.' Basically do one thing and do it really well. Don't spread yourself too thin or try to be an expert at everything."
10. Growing up, she modeled and was able to wear gorgeous clothes, which she credits was the beginning of her obsession with style.
Also read about: Show Off Your Swimsuit Collection With These Instagram Captions
11. Her brand originally started with just crochet pieces.
"Since starting with crochet, we have moved into resort wear and ready to wear. We continue to cherish our customers. They are the reason we get to do what we love every single day. And I truly want to thank you all for supporting my brand!"
12. Lisa is an empath.
"I'm a very sensitive person. I'm an introvert, and empathy is my superpower. I can actually sense your mood from a mile away."
Love learning all about female fashion founders? Look HERE for everything you need to know about Leila Shams of TA3.