Want to Make Lizzo's Viral TikTok Vegan Ice Cream Bread? Here's How
The moment Lizzo posted a TikTok video showing the world how she turned vegan Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream into a loaf of tasty bread, our mouths started watering—and we wondered whether we should recreate it ourselves.
In the new TikTok series Celeb Eats, made in collaboration between PEOPLE Magazine and Sweety High, that very recipe gets put to the test by influencer chef Tway Nguyen (aka @taedabae) in the series' very first episode. Does it earn a chef's kiss, or does the recipe fall flat? Keep reading to find out more.
Lizzo shared the epic recipe earlier this summer on TikTok. The video shows her mixing the ice cream and flour, buttering up a glass loaf pan and smoothing the batter out in the pan before popping it in the oven. Her result is a perfectly fluffy-looking loaf of bread—which she apparently made into French toast for brunch.
@lizzoBought some @benandjerrys and made some vegan ice cream bread … ✊🏾 it's good but I'm gonna make it into French toast for brunch♬ Ice Me Out – Kash Doll
- 1 pint of Ben & Jerry's dairy-free ice cream
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A large bowl
- A small loaf pan
- A whisk
- Margarine, cooking spray or parchment paper
- Preheat the oven to 350° and allow ice cream to soften
- Grease your loaf pan with margarine or cooking spray, or line with parchment paper
- Add the melted ice cream, flour, baking powder and salt to the large bowl and whisk together
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and spread evenly
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until loaf is fully baked
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before slicing and serving
Tway's Vegan Ice Cream Bread
In the very first episode of Celeb Eats, Tway Nguyen replicates Lizzo's vegan ice cream bread recipe to find out whether it's worth all of the fuss. Starting with a pint of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Cookie Dough Non-Dairy ice cream, she follows all of the steps, resulting in a delicious-smelling loaf after just 45 minutes.
@peopleThe ##Rumors are true, @twaydabae 's take on @lizzo 's vegan ice cream bread is 🔥 ##Lizzo ##veganrecipes ##CelebEats♬ original sound – People Magazine
So what's Tway's verdict? The chef decides that if she were to try it again, she'd likely do things a little bit differently. Personally, she'd add more flour and baking soda, and mix the ice cream for even longer in order to incorporate more air and leave it lighter and fluffier. When we decide to make the recipe ourselves, we'll be sure to follow her tips.
Liked the episode? Be sure to follow PEOPLE Magazine on TikTok in order to catch every episode as it airs.
Curious about the series? Click HERE to learn more about Tway and Celeb Eats.