Everything You HAVE to Know About The Baby-Sitters Club Star Malia Baker
Ever since we first heard that Netflix was doing their own version of The Baby-Sitters Club, we've been eagerly counting down the days until summer. The new series starts streaming July 3, and it can't get here soon enough.
While the story is totally classic, the show will feature a number of awesome newcomers, including Malia Baker as Mary Anne Spier—the BSC member we've always related to most. Malia earned the role after acting for just one year, and as she's currently working on a novel of her own, she seems a perfect match for the iconic character. We can't wait to see Malia on our screens, so we had to get to know all about her ahead of the big premiere.
(Photo credit: Gordan Dumka)
Name: Malia Simphiwe Baker
Hometown: Born in Botswana, raised in Vancouver, Canada
Birthday: Dec. 18
1. Malia's favorite thing about herself is her personality.
"I know how vague that is. I like that I've got a good sense of humor, I'm smart, I'm witty, I'm kind and I can speak my mind."
2. Her must-have beauty product is ChapStick.
"Otherwise, you'll see me licking my lips all the time trying to keep the moisture."
3. Her best subjects in school are English and math. While her worst subject right now is probably science, she has some great grades across the board.
4. Malia considers herself "too much of a grandma" to be a gamer.
5. She says her biggest character quirk is her incredible awkwardness.
"It mostly comes across as being funny. When it doesn't, then we have something to worry about."
6. Out of all the Disney Princesses, she relates most to Tiana.
"She's so hardworking and she doesn't quit. I really admire her and can see myself in her for sure."
7. Malia isn't all that into superheroes.
"I don't really have an interest in them besides the fact that I think they're cool, but if I had to pick I would choose Marvel over DC. Their movies are more intriguing to watch and their characters are really entertaining."
8. Her most overused phrase is "but yeah."
"It's so annoying to me! [laughs] It's a habit that I'm desperately trying to break."
9. In three words, she'd describe herself as a funny and kind over-thinker.
10. The No. 1 thing on her bucket list is hang gliding.
"It's a dream to fly."
Is Malia your Woman Crush? Click HERE for our favorite #WCW Instagram captions for celebrating the amazing women in your life.