Everything You Want to Know About This Is Us Actress Mackenzie Hancsicsak
Kate has always been one of our favorite characters on NBC's This Is Us, and we love the way Mackenzie Hancsicsak brings a younger version of the character to life.
She's seriously talented, and she's one of the reasons we love tuning in every week to watch the Pearson family's past unfold. We got to ask Mackenzie all about the things that make her one-of-a-kind, and you can discover them below.
(Photo credit: Tamara Tihanyi)
Name: Mackenzie Joy Hancsicsak
Hometown: Burbank, California
Birthday: August 22
Zodiac sign: Leo
1. If Mackenzie were to get trapped on a desert island, she'd want to stay happy and entertained.
"I'd bring my dogs (there are two of them, but I'm only counting that as one thing), books (I've been reading a lot lately) and my phone (hopefully there's WiFi)."
2. She has close ties to Marvel and DC, and can't really pick a favorite.
"Marvel because my dad and I loved Captain Marvel, but I also love DC because my friend Faithe Herman (Annie from This is Us) stars as Darla Dudley in Shazam—and Shazam 2 will be coming out in April, 2022!"
3. Right now, she can't live without Snapchat.
"We just had a school dance and my friends and I took a lot of photos during it!"
4. Mackenzie and her This Is Us character, Kate, have slightly different fashion tastes.
"Kate always wears a lot of bright colors which I wouldn't necessarily wear in real life."
5. Her biggest character quirk is she always wears shorts.
"I like to wear shorts even when it's cold. My dad's from Canada, so I always say I have Canadian blood."
6. She doesn't cry often in movies, but there have been a couple of exceptions.
"I did cry in A Dog's Purpose and How to Train Your Dragon. I think I'll be sad about any movie involving treating animals badly."
7. Her current Netflix obsession is Friends.
"My mom introduced me to Friends and so that's been our go-to for a while now. Whenever we're a little down, we can always cheer ourselves up watching any episode of Friends."
8. She loves the scent of flowers—roses in particular.
"I also like slime, and some scents are really nice, but then they get too overpowering. I think roses always smell nice."
9. Her first big break in the entertainment business was becoming part of the This Is Us cast.
"I'd never auditioned for anything that big before. I was nervous auditioning for all the producers at the callbacks, but having Parker Bates (who plays young Kevin) and Lonnie Chavis (who's young Randall), there with me from the beginning, made it a lot easier."
10. Mackenzie's favorite thing about herself is that she thinks she's a good friend.
"This year in middle school, I've kind of spread out and become friends with different groups. Sometimes it's hard blending all the friend groups together, but I try to set a good example and I love all of my friends."
11. If she could pick anyone from history to be her mentor, she'd pick Amelia Earhart.
"I think she was a pioneer and was very brave."
Love Kate on This Is Us? Click HERE to find out why Hannah Zeile, who plays a slightly older Kate than Mackenzie, is also WCW material.