Everything You Wanted to Know About 'ily (i love you baby)' Songwriter and Producer Surf Mesa
Ever since we first heard Surf Mesa's incredible work on 2020's "ily (i love you baby)" featuring Emilee, we've been absolutely hooked—and it's obvious we're not the only ones.
The 22-year-old Seattle songwriter and producer just knows how to create soundscapes that transport us to other lands with an irresistible dreamy, feel-good vibe, and for these last couple of years, we've needed it. He actually started producing when he was in the third grade, and the dedication shows in every new release. "ily" has been streamed more than a billion times—and that's not to mention the four billion views it's gotten on TikTok—but that's only the start of his epic discography. If you love Surf Mesa as much as we do, keep scrolling to learn everything he told us about himself as our latest Man Crush Monday.
(Photo credit: Alex Michael Kennedy)
Name: Powell Aguirre
Hometown: Sammamish, Washington
Birthday: April 10
1. Dogs never fail to make Surf smile.
2. When we asked him the weirdest rumor he'd heard about himself, he hit us with a bit of humor instead.
"If you look up my height, it says I'm 5′ 6″, when I'm actually 4′ 6″."
3. His family in Washington has a Rhodesian Ridgeback-Lab mix named Koda.
"He's my best friend. I grew up with a golden retriever who lived a beautiful life, too."
4. His dad is his biggest hero.
5. He would love to get better at comping vocals in music production.
6. Generally, he doesn't watch a ton of TV.
"But right now, I'm watching The Watcher on Netflix because I've heard great reviews."
7. He says he does all of his own stunts.
Also read about: Everything You Wanted to Know About J-Pop Sensations Travis Japan
8. He relates to Prince Charming more than any other Disney character.
"I'm a chaser."
9. Christmas is his favorite day of the year.
10. His favorite song of all time is Duke Dumont's "I Got U" featuring Jax Jones.
11. You can tell Surf's moods from his music.
"I love melodic progressive house, so if I play that in my sets, just know I'm having the best time ever!"
Curious about our previous MCMs? Click HERE to read our interview with social media sensation Lev Cameron.