It isn’t easy being the eldest child of the family.
Yes, there are plenty of positive aspects about being the one born first, but there are also many misfortunes that come along with the territory. Keep reading to see just how many of them hit a little too close to home.
1. Your parents are the hardest on you, because you’re expected to be the example. It’s impossible for you to get away with anything.
2. You’re always the one getting in trouble, even when you didn’t do anything wrong. You just can’t catch a break.
3. And when you do make a teeny-tiny slip-up, you’re younger siblings are quick to call you out on it and make sure your parents know, too. Nothing gets past them.
4. Once you’re old enough to drive, your parents will rely on you to drive your younger siblings everywhere they want to go. You’re their personal chauffeur and you just have to deal with it.
5. When everyone else is out and about on a Friday night, you’re stuck at home babysitting your sibs. What. A. Blast.
6. Which leads to them always calling you “bossy” or “mean” on the regular. Hurtful. It’s not your fault that someone has to be the “responsible” one.
7. Your younger siblings are always going to you for advice because they think you have all the answers. That’s certainly not the case.
8. Oh, and don’t even get us started on how you’re expected to help them out with their homework and school projects all the time. It’s not like you have any homework in your own classes to deal with.
9. Whenever your friends are over, your siblings just have to hang out with them, too. They’re your friends, not theirs!
10. Let’s not forget to point out how your younger siblings feel the need to copy everything you do. Just because they can’t seem to find their own identity, doesn’t mean they need to steal yours.
11. You asked for a cellphone, but you had to wait until you were 18 years old to get one. Your younger sibling, on the other hand, was basically born with one in their hand. Ha. Ha. Ha.
12. Being the oldest, you always feel, well, old. Your young siblings are filled with such childlike wonder and energy, while you feel like a grandparent. Funny how that works out.
13. No matter how hard you try to avoid it, you’ll always feel incredibly protective over your siblings. If anyone does them wrong, they better run for the hills because you will come after them.
Believe us, we get it, it’s hard being the oldest. But we can’t forget how difficult times can be for your younger sibling, too. We reveal some of their everyday struggles HERE.